Monday, January 26, 2009

Lazy Days.

I had a pretty chill weekend. My roommate Dominique wasn't feeling well, so we both stayed in on Friday and Saturday night (which if you live in Spain for one day, you know that not very many people do). However, we did venture out on Friday night to the San Gines Chocolateria, which BELIEVE ME if you are ever in Madrid is worth your time and 4 euros. It was delicious :)

I also had the opportunity on Friday to go volunteer at a local soup kitchen here in Madrid. I really enjoyed it, and once again was completely humbled. There are people here in Madrid that live on less than 1,000 euro a month (which is less than $15,000 a year) that the government has literally done NOTHING about. This is one of the few soup kitchens in the city that opens its doors for a free meal. This kitchen is run by the same nun order that Mother Teresa was a sister of, and everyone I met there was incredibly welcoming. It was such a good experience for me and I hope to return soon.

I had my crash-course tonight on how to teach ESL. My friend Ally and I signed up to teach a beginners level class because we wanted to teach "fun" things (ie colors, numbers, food, animals, etc.). However, we soon realized that because they are in a beginner ESL class means that they primarily speak Spanish (I realize that this is a logical conclusion that I probably should have made sooner. Blame it on Spanish lifestyle) ;) So, basically Ally and I have to come up with 10 subjects (its a 10 week class) and develop a creative way to teach the information. Wish us luck...I think we are going to need it! :)

I got an email today from the Young Life area director here in Madrid. Ironically enough, he worked with my former AD in St. Louis and told me tonight that he and his wife sponser a Bible study on Thursday nights with dinner afterwards and invited me to come this Thursday! I'm really, really excited about this, not only because it will be good accountablility for me but I'll also get to see what YL looks like on an international level. What an opportunity! :)

Well, my seƱora has just told me that dinner is finally ready...note: it is 10pm here. I still am not used to this.

Love love--

No comments: