Thursday, January 22, 2009

Paso Paso ChaChaCha!

This is what will be going through my head all night tonight...what my dance instructor yells at us to do so we can learn the cha cha cha. I absolutely love this class. Its giving me a great opportunity to learn authentic Spanish dances in Spain! So, so much fun :)

This week has been kind of void of anything very interesting, except that I've officially finished my first whole week of classes, and honestly I'm exhausted. Which is kind of pathetic, because my schedule isn't any where near as rigorous as it was last semester at SLU and the classes I'm taking are way less intense. Hopefully things will even out next week.

Spain is starting to grow on me. As I spend more and more time here, I keep finding interesting differences between home and Madrid that will certainly keep me on my toes for the next 4 months. For example, it is completely inappropriate (almost borderline insulting) to come barefoot to dinner. Socks are acceptable, but you should really wear slippers or real shoes. People will think you are a hippy if you don't. Also, the Spanish (and really Europeans in general) don't have the same ideas of personal space as we do. They will stand literally 6 inches away from you to talk and if you back up they will follow. Stores in Spain close from 2 to 5 every day. Most people think its because everyone takes a siesta (nap), but my Spanish professor said that nobody really does that except in the summer time. Go figure.

Last night I went to a meeting about volunteering with an ESL program here at SLU. Normal ESL programs apprently are crazy-expensive, and SLU offers classes here for anybody at any age for free. When I heard that they needed volunteers for their program, I decided to check it out with a couple of my friends. What I came to find out was that by volunteering, you are actually volunteering to teach the class! So, I am now the co-teacher of a beginner's ESL class on Tuesday nights from 7-8:30! My friend Ally is teaching it with me (who is actually an education major, thank goodness), and we will see how it goes. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

This is what's been going through my brain for the past week. I have nothing really planned for the weekend, but next weekend I am going to Mallorca (a small Balleric Island off the East coast of Spain) and *hopefully* London the next. I found a 30 euro round trip ticket to London for that weekend and reallyyyy want someone to go with me...any takers? :)

love--

No comments: