Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Praha!

I made it to Prague! We got in this morning around noon, and by the time we got to our hostel and settled it was around 2pm. The 7 of us met up with another group from SLU Madrid that is staying at our same hostel and we all headed out to lunch.

We quickly discovered that we were about to make bank anywhere we went to buy anything...the Czech Republic's currency are called "crowns" (not spelled like that but it sounds just the same) and 20 crowns equal about 1 American dollar. When we went to lunch, I got 2 drinks and a full meal for about $5, which is crazy cheap and NEVER would have happened in Greece or Spain! So we lucked out on this one :) Afterwards, we walked around the city of Prague. It is a beautiful, beautiful city. Prague was one of the few European cities that wasn't completely obliterated by WWII and its aftermath, so all of the old architecture is still in place. Supposedly it was Hitler's favorite city so he never bombed it. But seriously, the architecture here is SO COOL. I know I keep saying that about everything I say, but its true :) It has a lot of old world charm- all of the streets are still paved by cobblestone and there are hardly any street lights or cross walks. I wish I could put up pictures and show you all! It is honestly so gorgeous.

Tonight we are all pretty wiped, and we're heading out tomorrow to see the Castle in Prague and part of the old Jewish corridor that still exists here (that's for you, Mags) :) We leave Friday for London (again, but this time to actually stay for more than 10 hours) and then I fly home to Madrid on Monday. I can't believe I've already been on break for a week! Time has gone so quickly...I've traveled to 4 different cities in the course of 6 days, none of which are located near each other....only in Europe :)

I also neglected to mention yesterday that it was my sister's 24th birthday, and that deserves a special shout out. Happy birthday my love! Maggie was also so lucky as to recieve the only international phone call I've made on my cell phone since I've been here...lucky, lucky girl :)

all my love--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liza, I have been reading and I love your adventures! Keep them coming. I will look forward to seeing you in May!
Love Liz W.

Unknown said...

I love being lucky!!! Love you too--say hi to the dead Jewish people for me!! kiss kiss.